NEW National Professional Qualification (NPQ) for Headship
We’re pleased to announce that we are partnering with education charity Ambition Institute to deliver the new NPQ for Headship. Within 12 months, participants will develop the knowledge that underpins expert school leadership and apply it to become outstanding headteachers.
Those doing the training will learn:
• How to combine insight and practice to drive change
• How to put what you learn into practice in your school context
• At a time and pace that suits their existing timetable.
Benefits to your school:
• Create confident school leaders
• Learn from the latest evidence
• Transform pupil outcomes.
Why this programme?
Ambition Institute’s new National Professional Qualification (NPQ) for Headship gives you the chance to put evidence-based school leadership methods into practice and drive change in your school setting. It also offers the opportunity to focus on specific headship challenges in your school or trust.
This is one of six new and reformed NPQs that have been developed as a series. They share the same common language and framework to help drive improvement across schools.
Ambition Institute knows that schools’ and trusts’ needs vary. So its programmes are designed with flexibility in mind and can be completed at a time that suits you best and fits in with your existing role. Through Steplab, the innovative personal development platform built for teachers, by teachers, you will have access to your modules and practice activities to help you get better faster.
Benefits for you?
Click below to see the benefits.
Benefits for your school or trust?
Click below to see the benefits.
What you'll learn
This programme develops your knowledge and skills in the 10 areas listed in the Department for Education’s NPQ Headship Framework.
You will learn how to:
• Set clear goals and communicate shared values that improve classroom and school culture
• Transform pupils’ knowledge, capabilities and beliefs about learning
• Create a fair and structured approach to learning and testing
• Establish a safe and positive environment for pupils
• Support colleagues to meet individual needs and make sure all pupils have access to a rich curriculum
• Lead school-wide professional development for staff
• Establish good financial, human and educational resource management
• Make and act on evidence-informed decisions
• Work well with parents, carers, other schools and the wider community
• Lead by example, be accountable for decisions and make sure staff know their professional responsibilities.
How you’ll learn
The content is delivered through blended learning. This includes real-time, interactive online sessions, Covid-safe face-to-face conferences and self-guided modules you can fit around your timetable. You will put what you learn into practice in your school and be able to track your progress and get feedback as you go. The programme also includes coaching and peer learning.
Note: programme content is subject to change.
£1980 but details awaited from the DfE regarding fully funded programmes and eligibility for scholarships.
To apply, you must be, or aspire to be a headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
The assessment window starts at the end of the 18-month programme and runs for three months. During this time, participants will be given an eight-day window to sit an ‘open book’ style assessment in which they respond to a short case study.
There are two assessment windows every year, and participants can sit the assessment two times, if they need to. You need to complete the course to qualify for the NPQ accreditation. Ambition Institute will offer a webinar and live clinic in advance of the assessment window to support participants.